Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 26th 2009 The R.O.C. 99


Last I.C.A.R. race of the season,
the Russ Osborne Challenge 99
September 26th 2009
Stateline Stadium Speedway
Posted by Staff@Kodiakwebracing.

Slow Russ Osborne Down
"Are you kidding me?"


Russ Osborne. 45 years old. Single. Two children. Owns a house on the South Hill in Spokane, Washington. Owns a 5-bedroom house in Las Vegas, Nevada. Owns a cabin in a secluded bay on Lake Couer d'Alene, Idaho. and drives late Model Race Cars as a passion. Sounds like a pretty successful life. Let me tell you, I think he's earned it.


What is different about Russ? Not much. Russ was a normal, very athletic child and the youngest of five boys. Enjoyed all sports and even played baseball and became a semi-professional hockey player in his teens. At the age of 15 years old, Russ was playing semi-professional hockey and loving life. His world was changed in an instant. Playing the sport he loved and excelled at, Russ was involved in an accident in which his hockey helmet and safety measures, failed to protect him. Doctors didn't give a lot of hope for Russ, and he lay in a coma for four months. Upon awakening, he found that he had suffered multiple fractures of his face and skull, as well as collarbone and shoulder injuries, all this and he was informed that he would be partially paralyzed on his right side and probably never walk again, let alone participate in any sport again. Through years of surgeries and grinding physical therapy sessions, Russ was determined to not let this injury slow him down. If he could not kick a ball, hit a ball or knock a puck in for a goal, his very deep competitive spirit told him he had to do something. Russ persevered and chose competitive oval track racing as his sport of choice back in 1987. He took a couple of breaks in racing, but has been very competitive since we arrived on the racing scene in 2006. He now owns two late model race cars. With the assistance of a lot of close friends and a modified car, he has ranked into the top ten in the point standings several years in a row. Russ has to strap his right hand and foot into a special position in his race car and only uses his left arm and foot to drive these magnificent cars. You would never know this by watching his talent. One of the cleanest drivers you'll watch run the oval.


Here are a few words from Russ himself:


"Hey friends, my name is Russ Osborne and I am a race car driver.” The coolest part about this... I race with just my left hand and foot! To start off, I was injured in 1980 @ the age of 15, playing semi-professional hockey. I sustained a head injury and remained in a coma for 4 months, leaving my right arm and leg semi-paralyzed. I have very high spirits and don't let my disabilities keep me from doing what I want and love.. RACING! I began racing in 1987 and did so for 7 years.
I recently started racing again in 2006 at The Stateline Speedway. I finished 2006 third over-all in points. 2007 brought another good year of racing finishing fourth in points for the season. Third year of racing, First race of the year got taken out in the main event, missed the next 3 races repairing my car, dropped to 20th in points, Then finished the remaining season and worked my way up to 10th in points for the season. This year has proven to be a great season and I’m in the chase again, so strap in, enjoy the ride and lets Rock it!! in the First annual Russ Osborne Challenge Race 2009.”
To learn more about Russ and meet him in person, stop by the #99 pit following the race. To meet Russ is like meeting an all-star. He is just one great guy who won’t let anything slow him down and has the time of day for anyone that asks. We at Kodiakwebracing.com are proud to present a look into our friend and Favorite Driver: The #99 Russell Osborne.


Help us kick off this first annual and Lets Go Racin Boys !!
Produced by KodiakwebRacing.com